Wausau, WI
27°
Mostly Cloudy
6:46 am5:37 pm CST
SatSunMon
37°F / 30°F
48°F / 27°F
57°F / 36°F

Local News

House Safety Checks For Autumn

Credit: iStock

Anzhe Zhang

More than just being the “good one” where Americans gain an hour, the end of Daylight Saving Time also provides a great opportunity to make sure your home has the most basic safety checks in place, according to the Green Bay Metro Fire Department and Brown County’s Public Health Department.

Both parties recommended that residents put in new batteries for their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

“We tend to see more carbon monoxide related emergencies in the cooler months,” Shauna Walesh, the Green Bay Metro Fire Lieutenant, said.

“Now is the time for Brown County residents to make sure their heating sources, smoke detectors, and carbon monoxide detectors are in good working order.”

Smoke alarms, a fire escape plan, and other tools are vital for what is considered to be a common danger that people face – a residential fire.

According to the Wisconsin Environmental Public Health Tracking Program, an average of 500 Wisconsin residents are sent to the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning every year.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal within minutes. The gas is especially problematic due to its odorless properties, making it difficult to detect without a carbon monoxide detector. It’s advised that in the event that a carbon monoxide detector goes off, it’s important to exit the premise for outside air immediately.

According to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, here are some things you should keep in mind:

Be sure that every floor in a house has a carbon monoxide detector, and check that the batteries are working. It’s also recommended that detectors be replaced every five years.

Inspect furnaces and wood-burning stoves to make sure they’re ventilated properly.

Do not use heaters or cooking grills inside your garage or home.

Generators should be used at a distance from home, and never in the garage or other enclosed spaces.

Cars should not be turned on in the garage, which could allow a dangerous amount of carbon monoxide to accumulate.